New Music Friday: The Top 5 albums out on April 15
After last week's blockbuster slate of album releases, things slow down a bit on April 15. But terrific sleepers still shine through, starting with rising country singer Kaitlin Butts and thematically ambitious cross-genre polymath Samora Pinderhughes. Mal Blum returns with songs about travel and isolation, Jerry Paper finds freedom in shaking one's body, and an archival recording captures Dave Brubeck as his quartet is unexpectedly reduced to a trio on short notice. On this week's New Music Friday, contributors Cyrena Touros and Keanna Faircloth join Radio Milwaukee's Tarik Moody and guest host Stephen Thompson.
- Kaitlin Butts — what else can she do
Featured Song: "it won't always be this way"
- Samora Pinderhughes — GRIEF
Featured Song: "Masculinity"
- Mal Blum — Ain't It Nice
Featured Song: "Everybody Loves You"
- Jerry Paper — Free Time
Featured Song: "Just Say Play"
- Dave Brubeck Trio — Live From Vienna 1967
Featured Song: "St. Louis Blues"
Other notable releases for April 15:
- Joel Ross — The Parable of the Poet
- Flock of Dimes — Head of Roses (Phantom Limb)
- Digga D — Noughty By Nature
- Kurt Vile — (watch my moves)
- Spanish Love Songs — Brave Faces, Etc.