One Small Step: Explaining Conversation Ground Rules
Earlier this year, Oklahoma City became one of four communities in which StoryCorps is anchoring their One Small Step initiative into 2022.
KOSU led the project locally in 2021, recording 25 conversations with community members who are different from each other for a personal, 50-minute conversation about their lives.
Have you wondered what takes place before a One Small Step conversation begins?
In this episode — click 'LISTEN' at the top of this post — KOSU's 2021 One Small Step facilitators Matthew Viriyapah and Kateleigh Mills walk you through ground rules participants read before the conversation begins.
The One Small Step conversation ground rules are:
- Refrain from using any harmful or derogatory language.
- Share the time equally.
- Don’t interrupt each other.
- Don’t make assumptions about your conversation partner or their beliefs.
- Speak for yourself and about your own experiences.
- Respect each other’s differences, do not try to persuade each other.
StoryCorps' One Small Step is made possible in part by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, a private corporation funded by the American people.
- If you want to learn more about the One Small Step project, watch this story from "60 Minutes."